Applications are closed for the 2023 workshop.
The New England High School Journalism Collaborative is excited to announce that we will hold our all-expense-paid summer workshop for students interested in journalism for the 36th year.
The 2023 workshop dates are June 24 – July 1, 2023. Students will be housed at Regis College in Weston, MA, and will work out of a newsroom at Simmons University in Boston.
The program is intended for students who are from traditionally underserved populations from urban areas. Some preference is given to current juniors and seniors in high school.
Students will learn to report, write, and edit for a newspaper, and produce multimedia projects for a website. They will be assigned stories, do interviews, and will be exposed to working on a deadline to create their own newspaper.
The New England Newspaper and Press Association will be assisting with the application process. Application guidelines are as follows:
- Only students who attend high school in the New England states (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT) are eligible.
- Only students currently in high school may apply, including graduating seniors. The program is not accepting students who have already taken part in the program.
- Students must be recommended by a teacher.
- A letter of recommendation from the sponsoring teacher must accompany the application.
- A transcript from the school with the student’s most recent grades must accompany the application.
- An essay of no more than 500 words must accompany the application. The applicant can write about why they should be selected to participate in this program OR how writing has helped the applicant explore and understand a problem in their life.
- Students will need to upload a headshot.
- PLEASE NOTE: You will receive an email confirming the receipt of your application with a link to a Dropbox folder to upload the required documents (letter of recommendation, transcript, personal essay, and headshot).
If you have problems using the form or uploading documents, you should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t miss the chance to take part in this unique program, established by the late Carole C. Remick more than 36 years ago. We are looking forward to training the next generation of journalists.
If there are additional questions or if the applicant needs special accommodations to submit information, please email Leah Lamson, NEHSJC managing director, at email@example.com.